The Original Jerky
This dried beef is very popular with most
African Tribes. This product can be used
as a bacon or a Burger topper. It also can
be used in Quiche.
||1. Using the dry-cure method mix all the
salts and spices.
2. Cut the meat into 1 inch thin strips and
lay a layer in a curing pan.
3. Sprinkle the salt mixture over the layer
and then place another layer on top, repeat
4. Continue to layer the meat until all the
strips are laid out and salted.
5. Cure for 24 hours then remove from the
cure and scrub all the salt off.
6. Pre heat the smoker to 100 degrees and
smoke for about 8 hours.
7. Cool rapidly
8. Keep in a cool dry place until the product
|Cracked Black Pepper
|Prague Powder No. 2
|Nutrition (per serving): 179 calories
Saturated fat 1 g
Total Fat 4 g (19% of calories)
Protein 35 g (78% of calories)
Carbohydrates 1 g (3% of calories)
Cholesterol 129 mg Sodium 3009 mg
Fiber 0 g Iron 5 mg
Vitamin A 19 IU Vitamin C 1 mg
Alcohol 0 g
Source: South African Government